Surgical repair has become the standard in care in treating hernias of the groin, umbilicus and abdomen. Repair is usually advised by your physician in order to avoid complications such as strangulation, which is when the blood supply to the intestine has been compromised by the tightly wrapped herniation. Surgical Repair is offered as an Open Incision or Laparoscopically. You will discuss the benefits of both procedures at your pre-operative appointment with your surgeon.
- Open Technique Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Technique Hernia Repair
Advantages to using the Laparoscopic Technique are:
- Reduced postoperative pain
- Diminished need for pain medication post operatively
- Earlier return to work with fewer restrictions